I Am In The Business Of Helping Injured Workers

How can I file for workers’ compensation benefits?

On Behalf of | Jun 23, 2022 | Workers' Compensation

In our state, if you are injured on the job, you have the option of filing for workers’ compensation benefits. Ohio’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is charged with treating injured Cworkers fairly and paying benefits promptly, including medical care to get you back to work and health.

How to file a claim

The easiest and fast way to file your claim is to file online. You can do so through the BWC website and filing the First Report of Injury, Occupational Disease or Death. You could also download that form and fax it to BWC at 1-866-336-8352, or mail it to your local BWC claims office. Another option is to go to your local BWC claims office to file the form in person. You can file one over the phone by calling BWC directly at 1-800-644-6292 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

How long does it take to get benefits?

You are not eligible for benefits until you have not been able to work for at least 14 consecutive work days. At that point, if you qualify, BWC will pay you for the total number of days you have missed. Payments are made electronically to your bank account, or if you do not have one, BWC will provide you with a debit card and account, which can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

What if my claim is denied?

Claims are not denied maliciously. Instead, the most common denial reasons are not submitting medical documents, or not submitting enough medical documentation. Your claim may also be denied if you forgot to sign your FROI form, and if your employer disputes your claim, it will be initially denied.

Can I appeal?

Yes. Though, it may be a good idea to hire counsel once an appeal is needed. But, if you want to appeal the decision, you will just need to file the Notice of Appeal (form IC-12) to the Industrial Commission of Ohio. This can be filed online alone or with the aid of counsel.