I Am In The Business Of Helping Injured Workers

What if I don’t like the care I receive after a workplace injury?

On Behalf of | Jul 22, 2022 | Workers' Compensation

It is easy to see how you could be injured in the workplace if you have a physically demanding job, such as working in a factory or at a construction site, but even office and other so-called white-collar workers can be injured on the job. If you are injured on the job and are pursuing workers’ compensation benefits, you may not always be happy with the medical care you are receiving.

Appealing the care decisions made in your case

Not being able to always choose your own doctor is frustrating, especially if you are injured in the workplace and are pursuing workers’ compensation benefits. If you disagree with the medical care that you are receiving following a workplace injury, you can take advantage of the state’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process to contest the treatment decisions made by your managed care organization (MCO).

The MCO will consult with physicians to review your claim. The MCO will determine what care you need and how much it should reasonably cost. The MCO sends its recommendations to the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

If you want to appeal the BWC’s decision regarding your medical care, you have 14 days to file an appeal. The appeal is heard by the Ohio Industrial Commission. There are three levels of appeal you can pursue with the IC.

Working with a professional

Because of the complexity of these appeals, many workers choose to work with an attorney in their workers’ compensation disputes. However, the worker will have to pay for the attorney’s fees out of their own pocket. Still, it can give you peace of mind that your case is being handed with due care so you can receive the medical treatment you need to recover from your workplace injury.